MUNGANIA TEA FACTORY COMPANY LIMITED
The factory was built in 1972 and commissioned on 6th February 1973 for manufacture of Green tea. By then it was managed by a Japanese company known as Kenya Maruzen. Due to limited green tea market in the world, it became uneconomical for the production of the same. In 1979, the green tea production was stopped and Kenya Maruzen sold the factory to the then Kenya Tea Development Authority, on behalf of the tea farmers in the area. The factory was converted from green tea processing to black tea manufacture and re-commissioned for black tea manufacture in 1980.
The factory is located on the South Eastern Slopes of Mt. Kenya, Eastern Province, Embu County, Runyenjes Sub-County, Kagaari Location, Kianjokoma Sub location, Kiandong’o Village. It is 20 kilometres from Embu town the County Headquarters and 152 kilometres from Nairobi the capital city of Kenya. It is 25 minutes south of Equator and 370 23 minutes West; 1600m above sea level. It is served by a 12 km tarmac road off Embu – Meru highway
The factory catchments lie on the slopes of Mt. Kenya about 2000 meters above sea level with a cool climate with temperatures ranging from 14 to 18 celcius and well spread rainfall.
The factory serves 9,024 small-scale tea growers of Embu community with a total hectarage of 1671.1 Ha
The factory specialises in manufacture of Black CTC teas.
The factory is certified to;
1. ISO 9001:2008
2. ISO 22000: 2005
3. Rain Forest Alliance
|Julius N. Mnthungu- Chairman||Mbogori Njeru- Vice Chairman||Isaiah Nyaga George|
|Rosemary Njoki Njeru||Samuel John Njagi||James Kinyua Njeru|
|Samuel Muriithi Ireri|
Postal Address: P O BOX 927 60100 - EMBU
Telephone: + 254 020 2342907 | 0733 090580 | 0722 787087